Vineyards Cadastre Program
Since 2014 the National Wine Agency is creating a Georgian Vineyard Cadastre, which will contain a renewable information about production of grape and grape derived products. This system will be based on a vineyard register, with the main aim of controlling and monitoring production.
Creation of the Georgian Vineyard Cadastre will guarantee:
• Collection, registration and storing of the information about every existing unit in the vine growing and winemaking field.
• Collection of the data about location, area, varietal constitution and other agronomic attributes of the vineyards in Georgia
• Visualization of the vineyards using GIS technology
• Possibility of analysis of the production potential of vine-growing regions
• Participation in creation of new denominations of origin and adjustment of the existing ones
• Traceability of wine and other grape derived products
• Prognosis of grape and wine production
• Statistical analysis based on the information gathered in the vineyard register
Creation of Georgian Vineyard Cadastre will simplify harvest process and ensure its transparency. It will support improvement of Georgian wine quality and its competitiveness on the world wide scale.
Vineyard cadastre is created through the identification and registration of detailed information about each vine grower and vineyard parcel, including grape varieties, date of planting, condition of vineyard, among others. The information is gathered by combination of fieldwork, vine grower interviews and identification of vineyard parcels based on aerial photography.
Vineyard Cadastre exists in every country of EU, where there is a developed viticulture and wine-making industry. Creation of Georgian Vineyard Cadastre will be one more step towards acquiring European experience.